VABAW is offering an externship or internship opportunity for three law students (the “Externship Recipients”) at the King County Superior Court (Seattle or Kent) for a minimum of six weeks. This is a unique opportunity to be immersed in the local judicial process and gain first-hand courtroom experience. Each Externship Recipient will be awarded an optional $500 stipend. This means the Externship Recipient may choose to waive the stipend in order to obtain academic credit from his or her law school. It is the sole responsibility of the Externship Recipient to ensure eligibility and to secure his or her own academic credits.
As of February 2, 2017, the following judges are still accepting applications for 2017:
Judge John H. Chun – currently assigned to criminal docket as Assistant Chief Criminal Judge
Judge Sean P. O’Donnell – currently assigned to criminal docket as Assistant Chief Criminal Judge
Judge John R. Ruhl – currently assigned to civil docket
- Each applicant must submit all of the following items in order to be considered:
- A completed and signed application form with signed acknowledgement and release form;
- A cover letter explaining his or her interest in a judicial externship in King County and why he or she is the best candidate for the Externship (1-page limit, single spaced, 12-point font);
- A legal writing sample (5-page limit);
- His or her most recent law school transcript (unofficial accepted); and
- A current résumé.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until externship opportunities are filled. Applicants however are encouraged to apply early to ensure the participating judge with whom he or she is seeking to extern is still accepting applicants.
Please submit materials to Ami Nguyen at email@example.com. Please also email Ami if you have any questions.
Please click here to download the application materials. Read the application and submission instructions carefully.